Time and place:
- Every Summer Term
Monday, 10:00 – 14:00 h
Fields of study
- WF INF-MA (ECTS-Credits: 5)
- WPF INF-BA (ECTS-Credits: 5)
- WPF IIS-MA (ECTS-Credits: 5)
Prerequisites / Organisational information
Registration for the course takes place via email, the number of participants is limited.
Some of the topics will be worked as case studies. This means that the lecturer represents an IT modernization situation, the listeners have to develop a solution, either directly in the lecture or as a homework assignment. The groups then present their solution and are then compared with the actually implemented solution.
IT modernization deals with the replacement of legacy software and/or hardware. Software in the business sector has a typical lifetime of over 25 years, so it is clear that it does not use or can use any of the current or future options currently available, because “back then” single CPUs used to be standard and networking were unknown.
Due to the high investment volume, reprogramming is practically always not economically sensible and often technically impossible, since not enough programmers are available. However, the software has reached a high degree of maturity, so that the question arises whether it is not possible to convert it automatically to new technologies.
This module now highlights exemplarily in which fields there is a requirement, what the state of the art is, and which future trends are to be expected.
The students are introduced to the “old” programming languages such as Cobol, Assembler, Fortran, etc. through exercises and independently work on small migration tasks.
As lecturers, experienced specialists from industry will report on their questions and approaches.
- Welcome and introduction
- Structure (architecture) of a data center
- DB2 on z/OS
- Excursion to DATEV Computer Center
- Data center and server consolidation
- Cobol basics, RD/z, TSO/ISPF, JCL
- System Z – Hardware Basics
- Java on z/OS
- Mainframe Programming
- Legacy Applications in a Cloud Architecture, CICS Modernization
- Internationalization: Unicode in the data center
- Practical report on IT operations (task)
- Infrastructure modernization
- Practical report: IT operations
Will be provided through StudOn.